Student Forum Guidelines
I, Definition: The ASCLS-MI Student Forum is to coordinate the involvement and interest of student in the field of clinical laboratory science to provide students with a voice in their professional society, and to educate students in the concept of professionalism as expressed by the Michigan Society for Clinical Laboratory Science in its philosophies, policies and procedures.
A. The membership of the Student Forum shall be composed of all members qualifying for student membership status as delineated in the ASCLS-MI bylaws.
B. The membership of the Student Forum shall be represented by the State Student Representative. The requirements and position descriptions of the State Student Representative shall be defined in Section III, Part II.
C. One annual business meeting of the Student Forum shall be held in conjunction with the annual ASCLS-MI Spring meeting.
D. Student Forum elected and standing committees shall be established in accordance with the Student Forum Operational Procedures and in consultation with the Student Activities Chair and/or the President-Elect of ASCLS-MI.
E. The Student Forum Operations Procedures, Requirements for Student Representative, Student Representative Position Description, and Student Representative Nomination and Election Procedures shall be approved by the ASCLS-MI Board of Directors.
F. The Student Forum shall be funded as determined by ASCLS-MI Board of Directors.
G. The Student Forum Guidelines and Operational Procedures shall be consistent with the principles, policies and bylaws of ASCLS-MI and according the ASCLS Forum Guidelines.
SECTION II: ASCLS-MICHIGAN STUDENT FORUM OPERATIONAL PROCEDURES
I Membership - A Student Member is any person who meets the requirements for Student Membership in ASCLS and who resides or is a student in the State of Michigan.
A. Notice of the Annual Business Meeting of the Student Forum shall be publicized prior to the registration deadline for the annual ASCLS-MI Spring Meeting and in the ASCLS-MI Spring Meeting Program.
B. The Business Meeting shall be chaired by the Student Representative. The Student Activities Chair and President-Elect shall be present in an advisory capacity. Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised (Current Edition) shall govern business proceedings.
C. Voting Members shall be all ASCLS student members in good standing.
D. Any student may attend the annual business meeting and may participate in discussion of the Student Representative, but may not vote or nominate any candidates for elected positions.
E. Elections for the next Student Representative and any elected committee chairs shall be conducted at the Annual Business Meeting and in accordance with the election procedures described herein.
III Student Representative
A. The requirements and position description are stated in Section III. Amendments to this document are subject to approval by the ASCLS-MI Board of Directors.
B. The Student Representative shall be responsible directly to the President of the ASCLS-MI Board of Directors and shall be advised by the President-Elect and the Student Activities Chair.
A. All elected and standing committees shall be established under advisement of the ASCLS-MI President-Elect and/or Student Activities Chair.
B. Solicitation of committee chairs shall be via the NewsLinks or other publication available to all ASCLS-MI members.
C. Election of committee chairs shall proceed as follows:
1. The committee chair must be an ASCLS student member in good standing.2. The committee chair can be nominated by the student membership or by self-nomination.3. The nominated committee chair must be present at the election or submit a statement of intent4. and qualifications.5. The election of the committee chair(s) will take place at the Annual Business Meeting.6. Only ASCLS student members in good standing will be allowed to vote.
6. Appointment of standing committee chairs will proceed as follows: The committee chair must be an ASCLS student member in good standing. The Student Representative will appoint standing committee chair(s) in consultation with the ASCLS-MI President - Elect and/or Student Activities Chair.
SECTION III: STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE REQUIREMENTS AND DUTIES
I Requirement for Office
A. A candidate must hold student membership status in ASCLS at the time of election to office. In the event that a student’s membership status from that of student to First Year Professional during the term of office the Student Representative may remain in office for the duration of the term.
B. If questions of a candidate’s eligibility arise the questions will be referred to the ASCLS-MI President-Elect or Student Activities Chair for resolution. In the event that neither the President-Elect nor the Student Activities Chair are available, the questions will be referred to the President of ASCLS-MI for resolution.
II Duties and Responsibilities
A. Term of Office - the term of office of the Student Representative is one year.
1. Represent the student membership to the ASCLS-MI Board of Directors as a voting member of that Board.2. Act as the state contact for the ASCLS Student Forum Chairperson.3. Work with the Student Activities Chairperson and President-Elect to:
a. Inform medical technology students in Michigan of ASCLS/ ASCLS-MI.b. To encourage membership.c. Maintain an ongoing communication with student members by preparing and disseminating information via the Newslinks and/or special mailings.d. Arrange for fund-raising events to support student activities.e. Plan and preside over the Student Forum Annual Business Meeting at the ASCLS-MI Meeting.f. Submit written reports for ASCLS-MI Board and Business Meetings.g. Attend all Board Meetings.h. Attend the ASCLS Annual Meeting, at the end of their term, as a delegate or notify the ASCLS-MI president if unable to attend.i. Relinquish all files to newly elected Student Representative by May 1.
SECTION IV: NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS
1. Announcement of elections and requests for nominations for Student Representative and elected committee chairs shall be published in accordance with the Operational Procedures and duties of the Student Representative.
2. Nominations will remain open until immediately preceding the time of election.
3. The candidates shall be eligible for office as is stipulated by the Operational Procedures.
4. A candidate can be nominated only by a student member in good standing or can be self-nominated.
5. Candidate will be required to state their qualifications and goals before the general assembly at the Annual Student Forum Business Meeting either in person or by having a prepared statement read by the Student Representative.
6. The Student Representative shall close nominations prior to election and after all candidates have spoken.
1. Election of Student Representative and elected committee chairs shall take place at the Annual Student Forum Business Meeting at the ASCLS-MI Spring Meeting.
2. Election shall by secret ballot and a simple majority is needed to elect. In the event of a tie the election shall be determined by the current state Student Representative.
3. Eligibility to vote shall be verified by the Student Representative, the nominations chairperson, or the MSCLS President-Elect or Student Activities Chair. Eligibility to vote is defined as any ASCLS student member in good standing. Any discrepancies shall be resolved by the ASCLS-MI President-Elect or Student Activities Chair.
4. Votes shall be tallied by the Student Representative, the nominations chairperson, or the ASCLS-MI President-Elect or Student Activities Chair.
5. All election procedures shall follow Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised (Current Edition).
1. A vacancy in the Student Representative position shall be filled by the ASCLS-MI Board of Directors who shall elect the replacement by majority vote to serve until the next annual student meeting.
2. In the selection of a member to fill a vacancy, the ASCLS-MI Board of Directors shall first consider the candidates from the slate of nominees for Student Representative in the preceding election.
3. A vacancy in an elected chairmanship shall be filled by the Student Representative in consultation with the ASCLS-MI President-Elect and/or the ASCLS-MI Student Activities Chair who shall appoint a new chair, who will serve until the next annual student meeting, after first considering the candidates from the slate of nominees for that committee in the preceding election.